Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Capiz Shells




The first time I was able to eat Capiz shells was when my family and I went to this private island in Ajuy (pronounced as ah-hooy, with the accent on the first syllable). The island was about 200 square meters when we arrived at around 10 a.m. and it slowly submerges into the water during high tide, making it look like a huge piece of rock about 35 square meters wide. As we sailed back, we saw the island getting smaller and smaller. 

We were awestruck by the island's little yet magnificent view. We saw tiny fishes, which the fisherman who accompanied us to the island called "Zebra" bee cause they had those stripes similar to those found on zebras. As simple as that.

My father and cousins were busy fishing in the hope of catching fish which I knew they couldn't catch in the island. [I knew deep down inside they felt like little kids feeling so good about going to the beach.] I knew they weren't good on fishing but if you were on the island with us, you'd do the same thing-- trying to catch fish when you knew you couldn't.

The sand was like those you'd find in Boracay, very fine and white. It was so much fun hanging out in the island and pristine waters.

Well, today I had the opportunity to eat these shells again. I only know two ways to cook these shells-- grilled and steamed. When you grill these shells, all you have to do is to simple put the shells on top of the griller and wait until it starts to open. When you steam these shells, you also wait for the shells to open, indicating that it's cooked and ready to eat.

I haven't eating baked Capiz shells. I never even heard about it but if you know, please tell me. I'd love to try that one out!

2 comments:

  1. Wow this sounds very interesting! I've never heard of eating capiz shells either! They are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Capiz shells are the ornaments used by Filipinos decades back to make sliding wooden doors. Also, accessories, lamp shades, chandeliers, etc. have been made out of these shells.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...